3 Essential Tips for Exterior PaintingPosted On: February 24, 2014
Exterior painting is crucial for a beautiful house. In this article, you’ll find some tips to bring out the best in your house by only adding some color.
House painting is a hard job, but the rewards are great nonetheless. So, familyhandyman.com has some tips about what you need to succeed when painting your house:
Find a Top-quality Brush and Paint
A top-quality brush isn’t as expensive how it sounds, and usually if you buy something of good quality, it has more longevity than low-quality versions of the same thing. So, it’s clearly advantageous to buy just a single, good brush than a lot of bad brushes for the same price. Plus, if it’s more expensive, it probably means that it’s made from good material that will make your job much easier.
If you want your paint to look great, we recommend you use synthetic bristle-brushes for good results, a 4-inch one (for large areas) and a 1-inch (for detailed work). If you want to paint very large areas, then you should also use a roller setup composed of a heavy-duty roller cage, a nap roller, and a roller screen.
Another important purchasing decision to make is buying a good paint, preferably acrylic latex paint of a good quality level because, though it’s a bit more expensive, it usually applies much easier, lasts longer, and covers better.
Improve Your Painting Skills by Using the Right Techniques
If you want your project to look good without hiring some professional house painters, you should learn the right techniques. This will save a lot of time and will make your work look better than you would expect.
Here are some techniques that are used even by the best house painters:
· Plan a strategy before you start the house painting
· Paint the large areas first and then the details
· Master brushing, rolling, and cutting-in before you start painting
· Avoid painting in direct sunlight because it can make lap marks appear, which will peel and blister
· Don’t paint on windy days because the wind will dry the paint too fast and dirty it
· If it is supposed to rain, don’t paint the house
· If your paint is not made for cold weather, don’t apply it if the temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
· Professional house painters hold the paint closer to the surface to reduce dripping and ease arm pain
· If you’re working from a ladder, then you should learn to paint with both hands; this will make the exterior painting also much easier
· It’s best to paint windows and doors when the sun is still up; these will dry before the night will come so you can close them without any problem
· After your house painting is complete, write down the color you used to paint every surface in case you need to touch-up your work in the future
This article was offered to you by our professional house painters. We serve Columbus, Ohio and all of central Ohio, including Springfield, Zanesville, Mansfield, and Chillicothe.