How to Install Replacement DoorsPosted On: July 29, 2014
Replacement doors are a great way to update the look of your home. In particular, front door replacement can assist you in maintaining good curb appeal. Worn and drafty doors can be replaced with French patio doors or pre-hung replacement doors that have weather resistant frames.
You may be able to install replacement doors yourself, if you understand how. Many people prefer to have a professional do their front door replacement, because it’s important that it’s done properly. This article will help you to decide between replacing your own front doors, including French patio doors, or to have a professional help you with your front door replacement.
Tools and Materials Required for Front Door Replacement
Before you install replacement doors, you should arrange the necessary equipment and materials. Check that you have the following items that are required for the project and keep them close at hand. These include:
- Reciprocating or miter saw
- Pry bar, hammer, and tape measure
- Caulk gun along with polyurethane caulk tubes and caulk foam roll
- Galvanized casing nails, finish nails and deck screws
- Transition molding
- Treated Lumber
Steps for Installing Replacement Doors
If you know some basic carpentry techniques, then it will not be difficult for you to install French patio doors or other types of doors. This will require little energy and you will surely save money besides having new look of your house.
The first step will be to get the dimensions of your old door with the measuring tape. You will have to measure the width of the interior and exterior trims and the jamb. Order a new weather resistant front door according to the measurements. Then you can install your new front door in these few steps:
- Tear out the old door and replace the rotted sill area
- Adjust sill height, so the door clears any carpeting and door mats when it swings
- Install lumberyards to avoid water intrusion to sill and make sure it is levelled
- Fix the door frame, caulk the sill around and shim and nail the replaced door
- Insulate the gaps between the door and the jamb
- Insert foam backer in the wider gaps
- Install the interior trim and caulk the exterior
- Paint and stain your door and varnish it to give a final touch to your door
Professional Installation of Replacement Doors
If you’re unsure about your front door replacement, or if you don’t have the necessary tools or time, call a professional to install your replacement doors. We serve Columbus, Ohio and all of central Ohio, including Springfield, Zanesville, Mansfield, and Chillicothe.
(Image and excerpt from “How to Replace an Exterior Door”)